Thayer: Public school parents, claim your right to know

By Gregory M. Thayer

Government schools and Democrat leaders do not own our children! We must stand up and stop their agenda to take our children away from us by driving wedges between parents and kids. “We the Parents” have rights. Here’s how to exercise them today. 

Start by meeting with your child’s teacher and voicing your concerns about Critical Race Theory and the discussion of sexual preferences and practices at kindergartens and elementary schools. If that doesn’t work, go to your local school board and the superintendent. If that doesn’t work… well, this is still the United States of America, and we have a constitution here as well as in the state of Vermont. You must use them to your benefit. These are your children—and their safety, health, and entire future are at stake here.

Greg Thayer

Further, there is a federal law called the “Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment” (PPRA). I strongly suggest that you as a parent or guardian request a copy of your child’s or children’s curriculum from your local school district. According to 20 U.S. Code § 1232(h), you have the right to inspect these instructional materials. It is your responsibility to protect your child—don’t trust the government or strangers to do it!

Under the Code, the school has three days to comply, and if it denies you, you may file an appeal. The school must specify why it denied your request. 

At this point, and with the school hiding instructional materials and systems (like the “Gender Unicorn”) that are being shoved down your kids’ throats in Vermont schools, you have your answer: Marxist ideology has moved into your child’s school, and the teachers indoctrinate them with hate-filled, racist, “gender-affirmative” messages that could ruin their fragile spirits forever. 

Federal law is very simple: 20 U.S. Code § 1232(h), the Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment, says in part:

  1. (a) Inspection of instructional materials by parents or guardians

All instructional materials, including teacher’s manuals, films, tapes, or other supplementary material which will be used in connection with any survey, analysis, or evaluation as part of any applicable program shall be available for inspection by the parents or guardians of the children.

What is considered curriculum content? 

(A) Instructional material:

The term “instructional material” means instructional content that is provided to a student, regardless of its format, including printed or representational materials, audio-visual materials, and materials in electronic or digital formats (such as materials accessible through the Internet). The term does not include academic tests or academic assessments.

There are some limitations found in the Code, like healthcare issues.

You can use this form:

Parental Curriculum Request

The undersigned parent of a child in the _________________________ School hereby requests, pursuant to 20 U.S.C.1232(h), all curriculum materials, printed, digital, visual, or oral. Or in any other form, used in teaching about race, ethnicity, inclusion, diversity, gender, or sexual orientation in my child’s school or related programs.

Please advise whether these materials are available and will be provided in printed format or will be provided to the following email address: _________________________.     

Signed this <date>_ day of  <month> 20__

What if that doesn’t work? Then you still have the court system. File a lawsuit against your local school district and school board to get results. Exercise your rights. I bet you will get the curricula requested. 

Greg Thayer is a Rutland resident and candidate for lieutenant governor.

Categories: Commentary

Tagged as:

1 reply »

Leave a Reply