Police Reports

Thirsty fugitive Breer surrenders

Fugitive Harley Breer, 51, of Marshfield surrendered Wednesday following a manhunt that began Friday evening, Vermont State Police say.

Throughout the day Wednesday, numerous troopers were searching for Breer in and around Folsom Hill Road and nearby streets in Marshfield. At about 3:15 p.m., Breer emerged from the woods near the home of his uncle Earle Rogers on Vermont Route 232 and approached a uniformed trooper. Breer had his hands in the air and announced he wanted to surrender peacefully. The trooper placed Breer in handcuffs without incident and then called for an ambulance crew to examine Breer, who complained of dehydration. Breer received water, was checked and cleared by EMS, and then was transported to the Middlesex Barracks for processing on the outstanding arrest warrant on charges of first-degree aggravated domestic assault and resisting arrest.

Breer was jailed for lack of $100,000 bail Wednesday night at the Northwest State Correctional Facility in St. Albans Town. Breer was due to be arraigned virtually at 8:30 a.m. today, in the Criminal Division of Vermont Superior Court in Barre.

The Vermont State Police would like to thank members of the public who provided information during the search for Breer, and all the residents of central Vermont who were patient and alert while the state police operated in the area. VSP also thanks its first-responder and law-enforcement partners, including U.S. Customs and Border Protection, which supplied an aircraft to aid in the search effort Wednesday, and the East Montpelier Fire Department for allowing use of its station as a command post.

Earle Rogers, 62, of Marshfield is facing charges of accessory after the fact, and false information to law enforcement. The state police learned through investigation that Rogers allowed Breer to spend several nights at his home while on the run, and unsuccessfully attempted to provide money to his nephew.

Rogers was arrested at about 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at his home on Vermont Route 232 in Marshfield and taken to the Vermont State Police barracks in Middlesex for processing. He was ordered by the court to be jailed for lack of $2,500 bail and is due to be arraigned at 12:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 14, 2021, in the Criminal Division of Vermont Superior Court in Barre.