Police Reports

Fire destroys camper in Lowell

Shylo Bourdeau, 35, of Lowell is the victim of a fire that claimed a recreational camper being used as a storage shed.

On November 5, at about 10 AM, the Lowell Fire Department was dispatched to a structure fire at a single-family residence on Tanekee Road. When fire crews arrived, they discovered a recreational camper fully involved in fire parked next to the home. Fire had extended from the recreational camper to the house and was spreading into the attic space.

As part of Fire Chief Calvin Allen’s assessment of the scene he contacted Department of Public Safety Fire and Explosion Investigation Unit and requested assistance in determining the origin and cause of the fire event.

Members of the Department of Public Safety Fire and Explosion Investigation Unit responded to the fire scene and conducted a scene examination on Monday November 7. The origin of the fire was determined to be the interior of the recreational camper. The camper was being used to store the farm’s tools and agricultural supplies.

The investigation revealed that one of the residents had removed ashes from the woodstove on Thursday, November 5, and placed them outside of the house in a metal bucket. The ashes were then dumped into a bin used for composting materials within the camper on Saturday morning. The fire is believed to have started when the still-hot embers from the ash bin ignited the plastic bin.

The camper and its contents were completely destroyed in the fire. The house also sustained significant fire and water damage. The cause of the fire is classified as accidental in nature. No one was injured during the fire or its suppression. Damage to the property is estimated to be in excess of $50,000. The Red Cross has been providing assistance to the residents.

Categories: Police Reports

4 replies »

  1. It’s surprising to me how often this happens. I wonder how many people know that embers in ashes is how fire used to be carried from one place to another. My ash bucket sits outside away from combustibles for a long time, probably two weeks at least. I have 2 buckets that I use alternately, so it is a long time before one is emptied into a steel barrel in my barn…and l make sure it is cold.

  2. I hope they are able to find replacements for the farm tools etc they lost – ugh. Glad the house didn’t go too. Small blessings.

  3. Despite the poor judgment they have showed, my heart hurts for this family from criminal cases from DCFS to kids being taken to a fire. Too much !

Leave a Reply