As the Vermont Daily Chronicle catches its breath between the adjournment of the regular Session of the Legislature and the June 20 Special Session, we pause to report on 2023, so far.
- We’ve doubled our staff – from one to two! My oldest son, Tim Page, formats news stories, finds news, produces new legislation videos, and tracks new bills and roll call votes. His role will grow this summer into more news writing, database development, and subscriber relations. I am SO HAPPY for his help. Page & Son!
His work frees me up to spend more time covering more news in person. This year we produced our most coherent, comprehensive legislative coverage ever. As a result of our increased presence and appearances on Vermont This Week and other news programs, the Chronicle’s public profile continues to grow.
- We continue to publish news other media doesn’t cover. For example, on June 2 we ran:
- A news video shows a conservative Republican sparring with Bernie Sanders over a racially-sensitive children’s book.
- Breaking news about vandals spray-painting lawmakers’ homes.
- A news story about a brave family winning a legal battle over their mistreatment in the Randolph High School trans student locker room episode.
- Our bullpen of informed, interesting news contributors and columnists continues to grow in number and quality. Rob Roper, Mike Donoghue, Aaron Warner, and Alison Despathy (to name a handful) keep the Chronicle from becoming a one-note blog.
Our subscribers and daily readers continue to climb. Growth is good! And… it costs money. At a recent Ethan Allen Institute gathering, I explained to a highly successful Burlington property developer the Chronicle’s for-profit business model: give the product away free to everyone and hope consumers love it so much they make a 100% voluntary contribution!
If you like reading the Chronicle but are not yet a Paying Subscriber, please join the hundreds of Vermonters who have already done so. If you are a Paying Subscriber, you may want to re-up or give more. You can contribute the requested $108/year in one of two ways:
- Donate $108 online at PayPal, or
- Mail a $108 check to Vermont Daily Chronicle to P.O. Box 1547, Montpelier, VT 05601.
Thanks for your thoughtful consideration,
Guy Page, Editor & Publisher
Categories: Letter from the Publisher