Health Care

Newport rallies en masse behind struggling hospital

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...
SRO at community meeting supporting North Country Hospital in Newport

by the Newport Dispatch

North Country Hospital and the local community is forcefully rejecting a consultant’s report that recommended drastic changes to its operations, sparking a heated community response.

Over 200 residents packed the Gateway Center last Thursday night to voice their concerns over a consultant’s recommendations that could dramatically alter services at North Country Hospital. The proposed changes have sparked fears about the future of critical healthcare services in the community.

Tom Frank, President and CEO at North Country Hospital, strongly criticized these suggestions.

“When you make the recommendation of no OB services, when you make the recommendation of no orthopedics services, when you make the recommendation of turning our ED into a 16-hour urgent care and to turn our in-patient beds into mental health beds, that’s basically saying close the hospital,” Frank told the crowd.

Hospital board chair Louise Bonvechio echoed Frank’s sentiments, emphatically telling the crowd that they would not be closing. “Keeping North Country Hospital open will mean sacrifices, and we will need your support,” Bonvechio said.


In a letter put out last week to Jenney Samuelson, Secretary of Human Services, Frank highlighted NCH’s unique status as Vermont’s only critical access hospital meeting all federal requirements, citing its distance from other facilities and high percentage of local inpatient discharges.

“Ninety-two percent of inpatient discharges are those from our immediate service area, the highest percentage in the state. We take care of our own,” Frank wrote.

Green Mountain Care Board (GMCB) representative David Murman defended the report on Thursday, citing the hospital’s deficit in fiscal year 2023. “It was one of the hospitals that had one of the most concerning trajectories,” Murman said.

However, Frank countered that NCH has over 220 days of cash on hand and is financially stable despite challenges, including a failed electronic medical record implementation.

Community members expressed both fear and anger over potential loss of local healthcare services.

Frank emphasized that the consultant’s recommendations failed to consider the area’s rural nature and the principles of healthcare equity outlined in state legislation. The Northeast Kingdom covers 21 percent of Vermont’s land mass, where many residents lack transportation options.

As the largest local employer with over 600 staff, NCH contributes an estimated $61 million annually to the local economy. Frank warned that the recommendations “would decimate this entire community.”

Some attendees called for Governor Phil Scott to intervene, either by rescinding the report or disbanding the GMCB entirely.


Discover more from Vermont Daily Chronicle

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Categories: Health Care

1 reply »

  1. On one hand they has enough reserves to keep going.

    On the other had they are asking for a state bailout.

    Where is all the money coming from? Vermont is broke