Border

CVU students targeted for deportation

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

They may have entered via widely abused Biden-era phone app

By Michael Bielawski

It’s been reported that two students in the Champlain Valley School District have been targeted for deportation via a federal crackdown on Biden-era immigration policies by the Trump Administration.

“This week, we learned that two of our students—teenagers from Nicaragua who currently attend Champlain Valley Union High School in Hinesburg—are facing expulsion from the United States,” stated a joint message by Champlain Valley School District superintendent Adam Bunting and Champlain Valley Education Association president Emily McLean on Front Porch Forum, sent to VDC by a reader.

It continues, “According to an order from the Department of Homeland Security, certain groups of Nicaraguans who had been allowed legal entry in the United States under temporary protections are now being stripped of that status before their original deadline and irrespective of other processes.”

The statement concludes by offering taxpayer-funded resources to help the two students. They wrote, “For those who are compelled to take actions, contact Christina Daudelin who can share additional resources as requested.”

A report from NBC News indicates a federal judge has since halted these deportations until “the case advances to the next phase.” The original target for the deportations was April 24.

The Trump Administration disputes the legality of an immigrant’s entry if they utilized the controversial CBP One app. This is a software that allows immigrants to initiate documentation and interviews online rather than in person while crossing the border.

The Associated Press reports, “Migrants who were temporarily allowed to live in the United States by using a Biden-era online appointment app have been told to leave the country ‘immediately,’ officials said Monday.”

The app was part of a two-year parole program initially intended for exceptional circumstances but has, under the Biden Administration, evolved into a regular method of entry.

“More than 900,000 people were allowed in the country using the CBP One app since January 2023,” another AP report says. “They were generally allowed to remain in the United States for two years with authorization to work under a presidential authority called parole.”

The January order from the White House says its objectives include to “Cease using the ‘CBP One’ application as a method of patrolling or facilitating the entry of the otherwise inadmissible aliens into the United States.”

The next is to “Terminate all categorical parole programs that are contrary to the policies of the United States established in my Executive Orders, including the program known as the ‘Processes for Cubans, Haitians, Nicaraguans, and Venezuelans.’”

“Hundreds of thousands” abused app

The US House Homeland Security Committee issued a concerning report regarding alleged widespread abuse of the app during the Biden Administration. The 2023 report accuses the administration of inhibiting their efforts to scrutinize the program.

“Following months of stonewalling, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) finally responded to multiple requests by the House Committee on Homeland Security for information and documents regarding the expanded use of the CBP One app by DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas’ department to release hundreds of thousands of otherwise inadmissible aliens into the United States,” the report states.

Their records cover between Jan. 12, 2023, and Sept. 30, 2023. It states, “the ongoing review of the initial production of documents revealed several shocking findings about DHS’ abuse of the CBP One app.”

Among these findings was that 95.8% of all otherwise “inadmissible aliens” who scheduled appointments using the app were simply issued a “Notice to Appear” and then released into the country.

“These numbers are proof that Mayorkas’ [Former US Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas] operation is a smokescreen for the mass release of individuals into this country who would otherwise have zero claim to be admitted,” the report states.

It continues, “At a time when global tensions are rising, and our enemies are growing bolder, releasing tens of thousands of these people into our communities—especially when they have not received adequate, if any, vetting—is irresponsible.”

They may come back

Those who have used the app nationwide are similarly asked to leave voluntarily or face arrest and deportation without permission to return. They are being asked to use a reworked version of the app, now called the CBP Home app.

The reworked app allows users to upload documentation about who they are and where they are going. They’ve been instructed that if they leave on their own accord, then they may re-enter legally.

The author is a writer for the Vermont Daily Chronicle


Discover more from Vermont Daily Chronicle

Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Categories: Border

9 replies »

  1. One more reason Harris lost by not distancing herself from the sieve border policy enacted by Biden

  2. Incidents such as this are heart wrenching, but laws are laws, and without them our country, and this state, would be unrecognizable. Do you think we had crime, drug overdoses, and human trafficking under Biden, or whoever was pulling the strings ? Allow that to become the new norm, as opposed to being treated as a one time issue encouraged by a bunch of anti-American politicians, and bureaucrats to ensure political viability for a bunch of leftists, and we become a nation that no one wants to live in or visit .

  3. So how did this darling get here and get into high school ? and those involved in allowing an illegal into our country and into a public school sysyem should be held accountable, and this illegal should be deported and those promoting this illegal activity need to be held accountable also………………. we have laws for areason.

  4. The scenario reminds me of an old Leave it to Beaver episode where the young Beaver invites a homeless man into the household, and eventually when it becomes obvious that he is a chronic mooch, the adult in charge has to show him the door. For the sake of virtue and social justice, this man does not become a permanent house guest and regular character on the show. The Biden Administration, whoever it was who was actually in charge, had no authority to invite in all these new house guests, and now the adult in charge has shown them the door. Sorry, but hasta la vista.

  5. Why are taxpayer funds being used to thwart the deportation order? I’m getting tired of non-citizens being granted the same rights and privileges of actual citizens.

  6. For decades men (don’t recall any women) came to Vermont to pick apples or prune those trees and then returned to Jamaica. They never brought their families. Where VT seemed to go off the rails was not adhering to supply & demand concepts and got involved at the federal level with price supports for milk farmers. The foreigners coming to work here aren’t returning home. Now white people are begging for cash at the intersections, portraying themselves as “homeless”, yet are living communally in ‘collectives’ at various locations. They are routinely transported to and from these houses on a rotation by drivers. When asked if they want day work ALL have refused.
    Vegetable farming families in the mid west have made housing (with AC) and provided a church/school for families who had gone through the process to obtain citizenship.

  7. Schools in VT don’t ask if students enrolling are legal or not, that’s a fact. I love that taxpayer funds are being used to help these illegals. One of a zillion things tax dollars should not be used for.

  8. When non-governmental organizations (NGOs), including the public-school monopoly that’s running out of students, the universal healthcare groups, subsidized energy groups, and the government legislators enabling it all, figure out they can create a chaotic situation and profit by fixing the problems they cause, the problems intensify.

    First, because all businesses thrive in a growing market, the chaos is incentivized to increase. Example, Vermont has the highest per capita homeless subsidies in the U.S., AND the highest per capita rate of homelessness.

    The same phenomenon applies to healthcare. Vermont has the highest healthcare contributions in the country. But healthy people aren’t profitable. Thus, we have increasing drug over-doses, young adult suicide, and a flu pandemic generating billions of dollars in taxpayer supported revenue to pay for mandated, ineffective, even dangerous, treatments.

    And because Vermont has one of the most expensive and poorest performing public education systems, families are leaving, student enrollments are declining, and the people earning their living in the public education sector need to expand their market too.

    Voila! We have increased trafficking in undocumented children to fill the bill.

    Today, those employed by Vermont’s Government, Healthcare, and Education sectors form the State’s largest voting bloc. They have higher wages and benefits than the private sector, with euphemistic trade names like ‘OneCare Vermont’, ‘Efficiency Vermont’, and ‘The Vermont Education Association’.

    Paradoxically, it is the private sector that funds this inefficiency, driving ever more businesses and citizens out of State while further decreasing the tax base, thereby making taxes ever higher on those who remain. It’s circuitous tyranny. It’s obviously not sustainable. And these tyrants will soon find themselves with a tax base that is completely non-productive. Then, like any pest infestation, when the food runs out, the parasites move on in search of other hosts.

    What do we do in the meantime? Well, one thing is certain. You all had better do something…. and soon.