Commentary

Licata: Storm clouds on the 4th

by Tom Licata

On our nation’s 245th birthday, it would be nice to set our eyes on the window displaying blue skies. Instead, we see storm clouds.

Tom Licata

Montpelier’s decision to cancel any meaningful Fourth-of-July recognition along with our schools and our very own government promoting Critical Race Theory (CRT) and Black Lives Matter (BLM) tells us all we need to know about these ominous clouds. Both these movements are Marxist in origin. CRT is a derivative of the German Marxist Frankfurt School and member Max Horkheimer’s 1937 essay titled ‘Traditional and Critical Theory.’ One BLM founder on record states that they are trained Marxists.

Communism’s 45 goals were read into the Congressional Record by Congressman Albert S. Herlong Jr., (D-Florida), in 1963. These goals were gleaned from the testimony given to Congress by scholars and from the writings of current or former Communists.

Socialism is seen as the bridge between Capitalism and Communism. The major difference between Socialism and Communism is in the method of takeover. Socialism (and Progressivism) believes that it can centralize all control of the individual, land and industry by peaceful, but gradual, legislation; whereas Communism seeks a violent and final confrontation to eliminate all dissension to achieve its Utopian goal of a Stateless and Classless society.

But make no mistake; what is the same in all three ideologies is the desire to seize monolithic control of society. Mussolini termed this the Totalitarian Society: “Everything in the State, nothing outside the State, nothing against the State.”

In order to get a better understanding of our storm clouds, let’s exam a few of the 45 Communist, and by extension Socialist and Progressive, goals that have been read into our Congressional Record:

1. Capture one or both of the political parties in the United States. 2. Get control of the schools and teachers’ associations. Soften the curriculum. 3. Gain control of all student newspapers. 4. Infiltrate the press. 5. Gain control of key positions in radio, TV and pictures. 6. Eliminate all laws governing obscenity by calling them “censorship” and a violation of free speech and press. 7. Break down cultural standards of morality by promoting pornography and obscenity in the media. 8. Present homosexuality, degeneracy and promiscuity as “normal, natural, and healthy.” 9. Infiltrate the churches and replace revealed religion with “social” religion. 10. Eliminate prayer or any phase of religious expression in the schools on the grounds that it violates the principal of “separation of church and state.” 11. Discredit the American Constitution by calling it inadequate and old-fashioned. 12. Discredit the American founding fathers as selfish aristocrats [and racists]. 13. Belittle American culture and discourage the teaching of American history. 14. Discredit and eventually dismantle the FBI. 15. Infiltrate and gain control of big business and unions. 16. Transfer some of the powers of arrest from the police to social agencies. Treat all behavioral problems as mental health or social problems. 17. Discredit the family as an institution. Encourage promiscuity and easy divorce. 18. Emphasize the need to raise children away from the negative influence of parents. 19. Repeal the Connally Reservation, allowing the World Court jurisdiction over nations and individuals alike.

The Ethan Allen Institute’s John McClaughry and Rob Roper recently wrote of the means employed by the State of Vermont to achieve these socialist ends.

Woodrow Wilson, the only President ever to possess a PhD, wrote of “separating politics from administration.” Wilson saw politics as dirty and corrupting and saw administration as pure and scientific. “Administration” and more specifically, centralized bureaucratic boards and agencies operating outside the purview of the legislative body, is clearly Vermont’s means to its socialist ends.

To wit, Mr. McClaughry writes of the Vermont Council on Rural Development’s recently released “The Vermont Proposition” as follows: “Finally, the vision exhibits a glaring disparity between its enthusiasm for “democracy”, and its even greater enthusiasm for creating utterly undemocratic regional administrative bodies directed by an all-powerful State Planning Office that “would be responsible for the statewide community and economic development and land use plans on a five year cycle.” Presumably you could still vote for governor, but that scheme looks to me more like replacing local democracy with a hugely expanded and unaccountable administrative state.”

Mr. Roper writes of the recently passed Vermont legislation calling for a major expansion of state-subsidized childcare from birth to five-year-olds titled ‘Let’s Grow Kids’. In a nutshell, it seeks to replace parenting with unionized daycare directed by an enlarged centralized state bureaucracy.

Finally, the recently passed Global Warming Solutions Act sets up an unelected and unaccountable Vermont Climate Council to produce edicts which do not have to be voted on by Vermont’s legislators.

Think of a construction scaffold covering a large building, that building representing our democracy or specifically our Constitutional Republic. What they are doing behind that covered scaffold is constructing a “new” regime. That regime allied far more closely with the 45 Communist goals than with the goals outlined in our Declaration of Independence some 245 years ago. God Bless the United States of America… as founded.

The author is a Burlington resident and 2020 independent candidate for the Legislature. Storm photo credit Nikolas Noonan/Unsplash.

Categories: Commentary

15 replies »

1. “What storm Mr. President?” the insipid reporter asked. “You’ll see” replied the 45th President of the United States of America, Donald J. Trump. We are seriously and dangerously close to all out world war along with a civil war ..batten down the hatches…this storm is going to be one for the ages!

2. Albert S. Herlong Jr was a noted anti-communist campaigner and big D segregationist who read into the record the alleged goals of worldwide communism AS DEFINED by Cleon Skousen. Skousen was a Canadian Mormon raised in Mexico whose writings focus on an imagined global conspiracy between rich capitalists and communists. I especially like how even his fellow travelers balk at buying into his lunacy in their review of his in Dialogue magazine at https://bycommonconsent.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/5000yl_dialogue.pdf

It’s saying a lot that he was too crazy for hard core rightist Mormons and John Birchers fifty years ago, but somehow now his ravings have currency. Weird. Everything that was old is new again.

• In reality, “socialism” is an extremely broad term. It can simply be a way of controlling resources for the good of the masses.
      As an old radical/socialist I’ve never supported suppression of genuine free enterprise nor individual choice.
      Huge corporate interests exploiting vast amounts of natural resources while reaping virtually all the profit isn’t free enterprise.

• It’s not broad at all. Socialism means re-organizing the natural heirarchies of society and taking private property from rightful owners.

• Re: “As an old radical/socialist I’ve never supported suppression of genuine free enterprise nor individual choice.”

Then you are not a ‘socialist’.

3. Thank you Ron for posting such a meaningful post. I agree that this is exactly what is going on in Vermont. The U.S. Constitution and our civil liberties are being slowly eroded by Vermont’s legislature, teachers union and school boards, who put their own priorities and will before the Constitution, such as by implementing Critical Race Theory dressed up as Equity and allowing noncitizens to vote. I am a second generation American. My grandparents worked hard to earn their citizenship. They were proud to be Americans and never looked back.

4. “Socialism is the road to Communism” Vladimir Lenin founder of world’s first communist government.

• This is just word games. No one cares if a socialist calls themselves marxist or not, they are morally abhorrent to make victims of the wealthy by taxation or by publically controlling resources.

It does not matter if they call themselves marxist, progressive, socialist, communist or Democratic party. If they scapegoat the rich for the problems of the poor it is the same.

5. Ephesians 6: 10-13

10Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. 11Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

6. we need more critical thinkers in Vermont, excellent article! Now we need to clean house and restore our once constitutional state .